Disproportionately large, heavy breasts can cause physical discomfort and interfere with your daily life. Even if you don’t experience the uncomfortable symptoms of macromastia, large breasts can make you feel self-conscious. A breast reduction might improve symptoms associated with your large heavy breasts, in addition to helping you to feel more proportionate.
Breast reduction surgery removes excess skin, fat, and breast tissue to achieve smaller, more proportionate breasts. If you are considering breast reduction, please schedule an individualized consultation with double-board certified Dr. Jay Orringer today.
Signs That You May Benefit From Breast Reduction
Women have a variety of reasons for pursuing breast reduction surgery. No matter what your personal motivations are, Dr. Orringer will have an individualized discussion with you regarding the potential benefits and important considerations pertaining to the procedure.
You may consider breast reduction surgery if:
- You have chronic back, neck, and shoulder pain associated with your large breasts
- Your breast size affects your posture
- Your bra straps dig into your shoulders and create painful indentations
- Athletic and other activities are uncomfortable due to the weight of your breasts
- You are unhappy with the large size of your breasts and feel they are disproportionate
- You are bothered by the unwanted attention that your large breasts may attract
- The skin beneath your breast crease is chronically irritated
- You have a hard time finding clothing that fits properly
Many patients who undergo breast reduction surgery find that both their symptoms and their quality of life improve after their procedure. Some women find the surgery boosts their self-confidence and allows them to be more active.
Breast Reduction Candidates
You may be a candidate for breast reduction if it is your personal preference to have smaller breasts or you are experiencing one or more of the above symptoms. Dr. Orringer has been performing breast reduction surgery for more than three decades. He will thoroughly discuss your goals and concerns during your consultation.
Generally speaking, ideal candidates for breast reduction surgery:
- Are physically healthy
- Have fully developed breasts
- Do not smoke or can quit to promote surgical recovery
- Have realistic expectations regarding the procedure
Is a Breast Reduction Also a Breast Lift?
Many women who have large breasts also deal with sagging of the breasts and low nipple position. Both a breast reduction and a breast lift usually elevate low nipple position and reduce hanging skin. However, a breast reduction also removes unwanted excess breast volume. While neither procedure typically increases upper breast volume long-term, both tend to produce a more lifted, youthful appearance of the breasts by elevating nipple position and decreasing the lower breast “droop”.
Schedule Your Breast Reduction Consultation in Beverly Hills
To learn more about breast reduction or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Orringer, please call 310-273-1663. We welcome patients from Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, Santa Monica, and Hollywood, California, as well as nationally and internationally.