A mommy makeover consists of a series of plastic surgery procedures performed to potentially restore more of the appearance you enjoyed prior to having children. It often involves a cosmetic procedure on both the breasts and abdomen, two areas often most affected by pregnancy. It is important that you take the certain steps to better encourage an optimal outcome and smoother recovery process.
The following tips will be helpful with your mommy makeover. Before your procedure:
- Do your homework -- Do some online research prior to scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so that you will know what questions to ask during this appointment. Make sure you ask your potential surgeon about his background, training and experience in addition to asking questions about the procedure, including the nature of the recovery period.
- Communicate your goals clearly -- Make sure you discuss your goals with your surgeon in detail prior to your procedure. This will help your surgeon to better assess whether your goals are realistic or not and will help improve the likelihood that your goals might be met.
- Quit smoking -- Smoking can adversely impact healing after surgery. It is important to quit at least one month prior to surgery and for a minimum of one month following surgery to help achieve the best result and avoid potentially serious healing issues.
- Ask your surgeon which vitamins, supplements and medications you should discontinue taking prior to surgery -- Certain medications and supplements can cause increased bleeding, adversely affect healing, and interact with anesthesia. Make sure you discuss the medications, vitamins, and other supplements you take with your surgeon prior to your procedure so that you know which ones to stop taking.
- Fill prescriptions prior to surgery -- Find out which medications will be prescribed and obtain them prior to your mommy makeover procedure. This way, you will have everything you need immediately following your surgery.
- Line up help before your surgery -- Talk to several friends or family members about assisting you around the house during your first few days of recovery. You will need the help during the early stages of the recovery process. Most patients find it beneficial to spend at least one night at a post-operative care facility that specializes in the care of cosmetic surgery patients.
- Prepare meals ahead of time -- Taking the time to prepare some healthy meals prior to surgery will make your life easier while you recover.
- Make any necessary childcare arrangements -- During the initial phases of your recovery, you will most likely need some assistance with your parenting load. Discuss this with your husband, significant other, or other support system ahead of time. If you need to make special childcare arrangements, it is best to do so before your surgery.
- Make plans to take off work as may be necessary-- You will not likely be able to work for at least the first week after surgery, but this will depend upon the nature or your surgery, your individual recovery, and what your work entails..
If you would like to receive individualized mommy makeover recommendations, please contact Dr. Jay Orringer at The Renaissance Medical Center for Aesthetic Surgery, Inc. using the form on this page or call 310-273-1663 today. We serve patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, Santa Monica and Hollywood, California, as well as nationally and internationally.